Am I a Victim of Domestic Violence?
If you are being harmed in some way by your spouse, partner, or another family member, it is important to know that there is help available. Many victims in New York City are unsure if the treatment they are experiencing is truly domestic violence, and so they do not seek the assistance they need and deserve. Although there are different forms of domestic violence, the perpetrator in every case has the same goal – to gain control and power over the victim.
There are five main types of domestic violence, and they are typically inflicted upon victims in various combinations.
- Physical Abuse: The use of physical force (hitting, shoving, slapping, kicking, choking, etc.) against the victim that puts them in risk of injury or results in bodily injury.
- Sexual Abuse: Forced and unwanted sexual contact or acts; sexual abuse is commonly linked to physical abuse.
- Emotional Abuse: This abuse can be verbal or nonverbal, and can involve criticizing or berating the victim, as well as withholding love or affection from the victim to “punish” them.
- Financial Abuse: The perpetrator makes the victim financially dependent by withholding resources, refusing to allow them to work or forcing them to work, stealing from them, or incurring debt in the victim’s name.
- Spiritual Abuse: The perpetrator stops anything that makes you feel good about yourself or forbids you from following your religious or cultural beliefs.
There are legal options available for victims of domestic violence, and the Law Offices of Andrew J. Spinnell, LLC can help you seek the protection you need. We can guide you through the process of filing for a Family Court Order of Protection to safeguard you and your loved ones from future abuse or we can assist you with pressing charges against the perpetrator, depending on what actions you would like to take. If you are suffering from any type of domestic violence, do not hesitate to contact a New York City family attorney at our firm to learn how we can help you.